Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mathew with One "T"


I always get asked why I spelled Mathew's name this way. When thinking of a name for Mathew I wanted something different, however, his dad did not...So one day I fell in love with the name Mathew and knew that I wanted it to be original. So I decided to be creative, not really, and spell it with one "T". I think it's great, BUT, it's spelled the other way all the time-ALL THE TIME! I usually just go with the flow when this happens. I should apologize to Mathew now for making this a lifetime issue for him!

So do I regret it....Some days yes! Like after having to re-do his birth certificate, health insurance cards, social security card etc . I think people think I'm slow or something when I write my sons name, "we'll just fix the mistake for her, why would anyone spell Mathew with one "T"???"

Honestly for those of you who've done it, and lets face it, you all have :) I still love you and I don't care. But it's Mathew.

3 comments:

  1. My little brothers name is spelled with only one T too. My mom got soooo mad when his teachers would correct him and send his school papers home with two T's on it. He goes by Mat. Good luck sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should see all the trouble I'm having with Jocelyn's name. For some reason, no one can even say it right. I like how you spell his name. It really makes more sense anywayI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph! Great to see your blog! Yes, I totally get the name thing....Chad wanted to name Alayna just "Layna" and I said "No Way!" As much as I like it, I knew she'd be called Alayna her entire life and it would probably drive her crazy, cuz when you say it real fast, its hard to not hear the "A". However, one thing I didn't expect was all the comments by Russian women I run into when they hear me call her (like at the park, for example). "Oh, her name is Elena?" they'd ask. "Did you know that name is Russian?" I hear that all the time. I usually just say "Oh really? I didn't know that." Its too much to actually try to explain the spelling thing to EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete